Friday, April 3, 2009

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday to Me, Happy Birthday to Me!
I'm 27, how crazy is that!
I had a great birthday. Actually, I had to work on my real birthday but we celebrated on Thursday and Friday. Nate is so great. He always has some big fun suprise plans to make my birthday special.

We spent Thursday night in the Presidential Suit at the Anniversary Inn in Salt Lake. It was nice room with a great view. The picture below is from our balcony. Unfortunately, it was freezing cold so we didn't spend much time out there.


















We spent all day Friday visiting old historic mining/train towns down by Tooele.

OPHER, UTAH http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ut/ophir.html.
Opher was the funnest. It looks like people still live up there in the summer time. They have some cool old mining stuff to look at. You can visit this link for more information on Opher

























MERCUR,UTAH http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ut/mercur.html
If you go to the Mercur link it will tell you that ther is nothing left, and it is true. The whole area is just one big strip mine now. Pretty lame!
However, there are still a few remains left in West Dip which was a suburb of Mercur.

WEST DIP, UTAH http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ut/westdip.html
On Nate's map it said the town was just a mile up the road from the cemetary so we thought it would be nice to take a little walk. We took the wrong road, but it was a nice walk, except I was really slow. It's pretty tough to walk up hill when you have a big prego belly. All we saw on that road was a few blown up mines and one that was gated off. Jerks won't let us have any fun.
When we got back in the car we drove down the road a little ways and drove right to West Dip. The picture below is what is left of West Dip.


















TOPLIFF, UTAH http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ut/topliff.html
Topliff was our next destination. We actually never found it. We must have driven past it without noticing it so I guess there really wasn't anything too great left. What we found was two abandoned houses next to a railroad. We assumed it was Topliff so we stopped to explore. Lucky for us the locks on the doors had been broken off. It appeared that the houses were abandoned sometime during the 70's.


Nate has a whole list of historical places and towns he wants to visit. We would love to have some company if anyone is interested in coming along on our next adventure.

6 comments:

Heather said...

girl, are you working right up until you give birth! geesh! quit already! :0) OK, these pics are recent right? I ask because you don't look prego at all in them....you do a good job of hiding that belly! Happy birthday- glad you went to the Anni Inn (Jon and I have stayed in the Gondola room twice - the first time was the night we got married and then again after I hadn't seen him for like a month- I surprised him!) Fun place & what a perfect place to try and induce labor- wink! wink!

Megan said...

You guys go on the most interesting excursions. Ones that I would never think of, but do sound like fun. You do hide your prego belly well, although it isn't big at all. It was so good to see you last weekend - thanks for inviting me:)

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

ashley said...

Happy BDay Shell! Nate is always good at thinking up of fun and thoughtful gifts for you. I agree with the others, you don't look prego at all! I guess it's probably not that hard to hide a teeny tiny belly though. Glad you had a fun birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Shell! We still need to go out! I hope you can come this Friday, but totally understand if Nate already had some exciting plans in store..obviously he is good at planning fun things! Your trip looked very fun and very interesting. Exploring was always one of our favorite pasttimes though right!

Anonymous said...

I changed my vote on the baby names! Your mom told me the most sentimental thing and I was sold! We need to talk...call me!!

Cayde and Brianna Taylor Family said...

Anyday now!!! Yeah! Good luck with the birth I hope you are feeling well. I will be sending labor pain vibes your way. The last week is the worst and the best all at once.
Happy Birthday by the way what fun adventures you guys always have